The descriptions build on the national core curricula for ECEC, pre-primary education and basic education and are intended as support material for teachers in planning and implementing teaching and in drawing up and updating the local curricula. The descriptions have been drawn up by teachers and other experts in the New Literacies development programme, which is part of the wider Right to Learn development programme (2020–2023) of the Ministry of Education and Culture.
The descriptions are tested and developed during the programme. Local development projects are implemented in ECEC, pre-primary education and basic education as part of the development programme. In 2021, the Ministry of Education and Culture awarded a grant to 46 project municipalities for building operating models that develop the digital skills of children and young people during the school year 2021–2022. In summer 2022, the Ministry awarded new grants to a total of 111 providers of ECEC, pre-primary education and basic education.
In the development programme, the National Audiovisual Institute in responsible for the entity of media literacy and programming skills, and the Finnish National Agency for Education for the entity of ICT competence.
Media literacy and programming competence, National Audiovisual Institute
- Sari Murtonen, Project Specialist (media literacy), tel. +358 29 533 8018.
- Sasu Leinonen, Project Specialist (programming competence), tel. +358 29 5338066.
- email addresses are of the format firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital competence, ICT competence, Finnish National Agency for Education
- Päivi Leppänen, Senior Specialist, tel. +358 29 533 1941.
- email addresses are of the format email@example.com
The Ministry of Education and Culture
- Tero Huttunen, Development Manager, tel. +358 29 533 0219.
- email addresses are of the format firstname.lastname@example.org